Aren’t these little owl canvases cute? They are also addicting to make and come together fairly quickly, too. You could certainly do these assembly line style and have a whole bunch on hand for anytime you need a gift. The paint colors and embellishments can be changed to fit the current season or to fit your favorite color combinations. The possibilities are endless!
- rag/cloth ( I use old white tshirts of my husband’s, cut into smaller squares)
- Round nose pliers
- small canvas, about 2×2 inches
- favorite paint (I used Golden Fluid Acrylics in Teal, Green Gold and Quinacridone / Nickel Azo Gold)
- wooden birds (I got mine from Hobby Lobby)
- thin-tipped black marker
- beads and jump rings
- small eye hooks (3)
- Tim Holtz Word Stickers or small words printed on your home printer*
- chain or ribbon
- Elmer’s Glue or any other liquid glue
1. Paint canvases. To get the color variations I like in my pieces, I follow these steps when painting:
1. Brush canvas lightly with water using wet paintbrush.
2. Spread your first color with paintbrush.
3. Wait a few seconds, then wipe off some of the paint in a circular motion with a rag or cloth. If you wipe it off too soon, all the paint will come off. If you wipe it off too late, then the paint won’t move. Just practice a bit, and you’ll get the hang of it.
2. Repeat above steps to add other colors until happy with the background. Sometimes, I just add the other colors to the edges of the canvas.
3. While the canvas is drying, paint the birds with a contrasting color.
4. When everything is dry, glue birds, any embellishments and small words onto canvases.
5. Let glue dry completely.
6. If you added a word or two, take your thin-tipped marker and draw a box around the squares.
7. Screw eye hooks into top of canvas a ¼ inch in from the left edge and ¼ inch in from the right edge and at the bottom in the middle.
8. Using jump rings, attach beads to the bottom eye hook.
9. Using jump rings, connect the chain to the top eye hooks to create a hanger. As an alternative, you can also use pretty ribbon to create a hanger instead.
* You can print out your own words on your home printer if you don’t have any stickers. Just be careful not to get ink jet paper wet because water can cause the ink to run. You may want to add those after everything else is dry, using a dry adhesive like a glue stick.